Healthy gums don’t just look nice, they’re also important for your overall health! Gum disease often leads to heart disease, stroke, diabetes, and more. In order to avoid unhealthy gums, you need to achieve healthy gums and keep them healthy.
Signs of Gum Disease
It’s best to start by determining the state of your gums. If you think you might be suffering from gum disease you should visit your local dentist. Common signs of gum disease are:
- Gums that are swollen, red, or tender
- Gums that bleed easily
- Constant bad taste or breath
- Separating or loose permanent teeth
- Pus between the teeth or at the gumline
- Gums that have pulled away from your teeth
How To Achieve Healthy Gums and Keep Them Healthy
Be sure to establish a good dental hygiene routine and practice it every day. Implement the following steps into your routine to achieve healthy gums:
- Be sure to brush your teeth twice a day while using fluoride toothpaste. Remember to change your toothbrush every 3-4 months for the best results.
- Floss and use a fluoride mouthwash daily. For best results, floss at night before you brush your teeth. Floss removes food and plaque that builds up in between your teeth that a toothbrush can’t reach. Mouthwash can coat the teeth and help prevent gum disease and remove food particles from the mouth.
- Be conscious of your diet. High fibered fruit, vegetables, and dairy products can improve your oral health. If you drink coffee or tea, try not to add sugar and opt for black coffee and green tea. Try and avoid carbonated drinks, alcohol, sticky candies, and starchy food.
- Remember to visit the dentist every six months. Getting a professional cleaning is the only way to ensure all the tartar is removed from your teeth. Dentists can also tell early signs of gingivitis and provide you with the best course of action.
Contact Your Dentist
Call your dentist and set up an appointment if you’re worried about the state of your gums! Your dentist will be able to assess your gum’s current state and provide you with the best advice for you. Central Park Modern Dentistry is currently accepting new patients, and we are happy to help you with any issues you may have. Schedule your appointment today!